In 1880, when Canon Arthur Purey Cust took up the post of Dean of York Minster, a position he held for over 30 years. On his retirement, and as a mark of respect for this well-loved man, a considerable sum of money was raised by people from all walks of life, both residents of the city, as well as those from further afield.
Canon Purey Cust decided to use this money to found The Purey Cust Nursing Home. The building was designed by the renowned York architect Walter Brierley, architect for the York Diocese and sometimes known as the 'Yorkshire Lutyens'. Construction took place between 1914-1916 on land leased from the Dean and Chapter.
The buildings were redeveloped in 2012.